The image of a beautiful fireplace dressed for Christmas with boughs of holly and ivy and stockings hung with care is a well known Christmas staple, but are you aware that your seasonal decorations could be a fire risk! Here are some tips to help you stay safe over Christmas
- Your Christmas tree should be at least 3 feet away from your fireplace.
- Ensure your real tree is watered regularly to prevent it drying out and causing more fire risk
- If you are placing candles on your mantle ensure they are always supervised and extinguished correctly
- When dressing your mantle with greenery ensure the boughs do not drape in front of the opening
- If hanging stockings ensure they do not block the opening and where possible use non-flammable materials
- Use a fire guard to prevent sparks dropping on to your festive fireplace adornments
Yes the fireplace in this image is an accident waiting to happen!